How to Protect Wildlife, simple things you can do.
- Keep your domestic cat inside or in a cat enclosure, this not only protects small birds and mammals but also keeps your cat from becoming just another road victim.
- Keep your Dogs inside at night to prevent them from attacking wildlife such as koalas, wallabies,and possums.
- Drive 10kms under the speed limit at night to prevent you hitting an animal crossing the road. Most Australian wildlife is nocturnal or crepuscular ( active more at dusk and dawn)
- Do not take part in Balloon Releases or let goes ( Balloons end up in our oceans and take months to degrade, they also look like Jelly fish and food such as seaweed to endangered green sea turtles, birds, dolphins, seals and many other sea creatures, which then die an agonising death when they ingest or eat them)
- Never leave cage traps in rivers or streams as Platypus often swim into them and drown.
- Keep our 24hr hotline number in your phone to ensure when you need us we can help 0435822699
- Do not feed feral animals such as foxes, many people believe that feeding foxes will stop them from killing other animals, this is simply not true. Foxes kill for the thrill of it even when fully fed.
- Remove barb wire fences where possible, tie white colored ice cream container lids to top strand to make the top stand out to Kangaroos and wallabies that may need to jump the fence.
- Do not use loosely slung netting on fruit trees, this alone kills thousands of animals every year. Use only tightly stretched framed netting so animals don't get caught, this will also prevent the animals getting to your fruit.
- say no to plastic shopping bags and use recyclable calico bags ( these also look like jelly fish to marine animals when they are in our bays and oceans.
- If you have a problem with wildlife and would like to find a simple solution on how to live with wildlife give us a call for some easy suggestions.
Animalia Wildlife Shelter is a Not for Profit, volunteer operated, Fully Tax Deductible Charity-
Proudly powered by Weebly